Shrfu had never taken his disciples anywhere. That time, he said, "We are all going to the Zen Center." Richard Baker was going to receive the transmission from Suzuki Roshi. After he received the transmission, Baker was asked by a man in the audience, "I work hard in the kitchen. Now I have this cut toenail. I don't know where to put it. Could you tell me where I should put it?" Baker, not knowing what to say, tried to do "Tai Ji." In the end, that man was not satisfied with his answer. Later, back at the Gold Mountain monastery, VM asked his disciples what they thought of Baker's explanation and how they would answer the question from that man. Nobody knew what they would have answered. VM said he would tell the man to cut open his scalp and put his toenail in his scalp.
DM Ch'ih said this was like solving a huatou. By bringing a part of the lowest part of your body to the top of your body, if you can do it, at that moment you can get enlightened.
Please correct me if there is any mistake in the details of this story.
To add to the story: The answer Richard Baker gave was:"I always wondered about that myself."
ReplyDeleteThe VM's comment was: I thought it was a good answer. But I would answered it this way.....(above as you wrote.)
Jin Rou