Source: DM Heng Chih's lecture, Bodhisattva precepts June 2009
She said that the Venerable Master said this and it to really spoke to me.
The time when we begin to study a Sutra, take refuge, precepts, when we begin to learn a Mantra, is a time when we can change our faults, start anew. Whatever our bad habits were before, I am not going to do this anymore. It is not going to be me. Stress, worry, angry, frustration, unhappiness look like ghosts.
It is the same temple but we can change the spirit. Wherever we are, we can make it a way place (Vajra Sutra). We can leave our frustration, anger, it will be the power of the precepts and resolve that can make it happen. You don't want to be like the old you, you can become another person.
When I heard this I thought to myself that gosh I didn't want to look like a ghost and became self-conscious about them whenever these emotions arose ^_^. That strong imagery really got me to want to reduce those emotions. Plus reading the Shurangama about emotions is an eye opener.
No comments:
Post a Comment