Friday, June 25, 2010

Assignment 3 - Sophia Li

I have played volleyball for many years since the middle school. My teammates and I represented school/university to compete in state/national tournaments. We always wanted to win the game. The thoughts of fighting gradually built into my personality. I really like to change this bad habit.
Venerable Master's teaching about "Don't Compete to Be Number One As You Cultivate the Way" has great impact on me.

He said:

The participants in our Chan Session are working at a very superficial level. They've turned meditation into a contest to see who'll win first place. They are thinking: "If you meditate for three hours, then I'll meditate for five hours, so that I can keep the upper hand." If you let such thoughts control you, can you really expect to get enlightened? Even if you sat still for eighty thousand great eons, you'd still be unable to understand your mind and see your nature. Why? Because you have thoughts of victory and defeat.

Fighting brings an attitude of victory and defeat
That stands in opposition to the Way.
Further, it provokes the four marks,
Which sends samadhi-power far away.

He also taught us:

Cultivators of the Way should be like water, humble and modest, neither contending for merit nor striving for virtue. They bestow advantages on others and keep the disadvantages for themselves. Lao Zi said,

The highest kind of goodness resembles water,
As it benefits all things and never contends.
It stays in places that most people despise,
And thus it approaches the Way.


References:
  1. English: Don't Compete to Be Number One As You Cultivate the Way. http://gbm-online.com/online/dharma/compete.html
  2. Chinese: 修道不要爭第一http://www.drbachinese.org/online_reading/dharma_talks/volume1/volume1_32.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment