Venerable Master's 13th vow is:
I vow to manifest innumerable bodies as a means to gain access into the minds of living beings throughout the universe who do not believe in the Buddha-dharma, causing them to correct their faults and tend toward wholesomeness, repent of their errors and start anew, take refuge in the Triple Jewel, and ultimately accomplish Buddhahood.
from http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/VenHua/EighteenVows.htm
Venerable Master's effects on me were indirect, yet not insignificant.
Even though I came from a Buddhist country of Burma and had planted the seeds of Buddhadharma (went to pagodas/temples, saw monks on almsround), my conditions for stepping into the real understanding and practice did not ripen until after many years in America. When I started to question my assumed faith
in Buddhism, I soon found Gold Summit Monastery in Seattle in 1987. I started to read the Three Steps One Bow journals by DM Sure and former DM Chau, then I felt gravitated by the genuine principles behind their pilgrimage.
I heard the Dharma (Shurangama Sutra/Mantra, etc.),
took refuge with the Triple Jewel, and became a vegetarian, which was definitely an important decision in my life, as we know how much negative karma is created from eating animals' flesh.
I received the five precepts in 1989, and
joined the monastic life ten years later. Again, it was another important point in my life that was made possible through his temples/teachings and his disciples.
Venerable Master's effects on me were indirect, yet not insignificant.
Even though I came from a Buddhist country of Burma and had planted the seeds of Buddhadharma (went to pagodas/temples, saw monks on almsround), my conditions for stepping into the real understanding and practice did not ripen until after many years in America. When I started to question my assumed faith
in Buddhism, I soon found Gold Summit Monastery in Seattle in 1987. I started to read the Three Steps One Bow journals by DM Sure and former DM Chau, then I felt gravitated by the genuine principles behind their pilgrimage.I heard the Dharma (Shurangama Sutra/Mantra, etc.),
took refuge with the Triple Jewel, and became a vegetarian, which was definitely an important decision in my life, as we know how much negative karma is created from eating animals' flesh.I received the five precepts in 1989, and
joined the monastic life ten years later. Again, it was another important point in my life that was made possible through his temples/teachings and his disciples. Pictures from:
http://www.bttsonline.org/default.aspx?menu_id=15
http://www.cttbusa.org/cherishinglife/cttb.asp
http://www.cttbusa.org/cttbphotos/cttbphotos10.asp
http://www.bttsonline.org/default.aspx?menu_id=15
http://www.cttbusa.org/cherishinglife/cttb.asp
http://www.cttbusa.org/cttbphotos/cttbphotos10.asp
Thank you for sharing your story. I remember hearing that the Venerable Master said that DM Heng Sure will inspire the Bodhi resolve in many people.
ReplyDelete