I truly acknowledge my own faults.
I do not see the faults of others.
Others' faults are just my own faults.
Seeing everything as the same
Is truly great compassion.
From a Dharma talk given in Wonderful Words Hall, Spring, 1982
These are the exact words that led me to make the resolve for Bodhi nad later leave the home-life. Hopefully, they will inspire those who have not done so to do so.
They are also the first words I remember hearing the Venerable Master say during my first visit to CTTB. Since then, I have heard him say this hundreds of times in lectures and run across it in almost every volume of any sutra, along with this explanation: Having great wisdom means to recognize one's own faults and then change them. As far as I remember, this was my first time to be aware of the true principles of life and the basis of being a person. Although I have heard this many times, I am not aware of recognizing any of my faults much less changing them, but the words spark a light in my heart and give me hope that perhaps, I will someday.
Education is the best national defense.
I first saw this at IGGS on a poster in the hallway. I chose this comment because it awakened to me to the true meaning of education, and lead me to resolve to dedicate my life to moral education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here is a suggestion for a slightly different translation:
ReplyDeleteTruly recognize your own faults;
Don't discuss the faults of others;
Others' faults are just my own.
Affirming our identity with all
Is what is meant by great compassion.