Monday, July 5, 2010

An unasked question in class - Chang Yoke Kham

Teacher,

I wanted to ask this question on Friday July, 2 2010, but was unable since we had a video telephone conversation went on.

We know that Tibet is having some political issues with China for a long time. Dalai Lama is seen as a political icon of Tibet. Rightfully, left home people should put everything down and that includes politics. However, left home people also depend on the government to look after their safety. I hope you could tell us what is Venerable Master's view on the involvement of left home people in politics.

Amitofo.

2 comments:

  1. I come from a 'slightly' different tradition of Dharma. Hindu monks see everything as an obstacle to liberation (moksha, nirvana, etc.), thus eschew all desires and motives. Politics is the domain of sin and death (Mara & Yama). Of course, you have the option to get "involved." Many monks and nuns are political. We can say that Mara or Yama has a 'chain' on them, or he has a 'noose' connected to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that monks should get involved in politics, but that does not mean they should refrain from interaction with politicians. The Buddha himself regularly taught various rulers in the ancient India of his time.

    ReplyDelete